09.03.3013: Hide 'N Seek Tag, Thalo Style
Summary: Thalo takes Klaudea out to the Veldt for a different style of training.
Date: 3 September, 2013
Related: None
Klaudea Thalo 


The Veldt The Crescent, Imperius
A rolling, semi-arid landscape of thorny brush and stunted trees, the veldt stretches for hundreds of miles east of Obsidia. Away from the mountains and the industry surrounding them, it is home to a wide variety of animals, including giraffes, rhinos, antelope, big cats, snakes, warthogs, and much more. Hunting camps with their own little Waygates are scattered across the veldt, often host to safaris and hunts across the veldt. Little gullies and canyons within the scrublands host streams and ponds, and provide shelter from the frequent wildfires that sweep across the veldt.
3 September, 3013

So most of Klaudea's training to date has been spars and cleaning armor. Today is different. Today he told her only to bring a bow, and no armor. They set out towards the veldt and he didn't explain their journey till they slowed near a thicket growth off to the east of a tree lined ridge. Now Thalo is not a master hunter, tracker or scout. He's too big and brawny for that shit. Still, basic tracking and bow work are important skills to have. "We don't do much of this sort of work, Klaudea. Still, some missions aren't won by brute force. I'm not usually a part of scouting parties, but you need to learn to do it, and I need to see where your skills lay. So, we are going to play a game. I've setup targets on the trees and through the thicket. I'm going to close my eyes and count to 50, you are going to find a spot, hide and when I shout go, I want you to get take out the target that pops up before I can."

<FS3> Klaudea rolls Athletics: Good Success.

Klaudea isn't very good at hiding her thoughts, and so the of not wearing armor and only taking a bow, something that's been pretty much gathering dust since seh began training, has brought an undisguised curiosity to her eyes, which hasn't lessened throughout their trip onto the Veldt. As the stop at the thicket, she blinks and then nods. "All right, Sir,". Swinging the bow off her shoulder, she strings it, then glances up to see if he's closed his eyes to count. Once he does so, she moves off… city girl born and raised, there's a few crunches of broken branches here and there, and then a further off slithering of boots against bark as she climbs to a low fork in a tree, and nocks an arrow.

<FS3> Thalo rolls 6: Good Success.

"18…19…20" Thalo calls out and then he pulls out his own bow, stringing it, making her wait for a few more moments before he calls out, "Shoot!" and taps a buton on a control on his belt. From within the thicket, behind a bush a mock up of a Hostile pops up to life. It's basic animatronics really, nothing overly complicated, but moving…in Klaudea's general direction, apparently it's designed to try and find her. Or it got lucky. He waits for her to fire a shot, bow at the ready to realise just after her.

<FS3> Klaudea rolls Arcery: Success.
<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery: Good Success.

"At what?" Klaudea mutters under her breath, as she draws the string back to her ear. Then the 'Hostile' makes it's appearance and she blinks. She takes just one more extra moment of aim to make sure that she's not taking for granted that she can hit something just because it's big and headed straight for her, then looses the arrow. She draws another arrow to nock as it flies towards the Hostile and hits it. She refrains from cheering out loud, but she does grin broadly.

Right after her arrow slams into the abdomen of the hostile, his slams into its chest. It's deeper in there, but neither would have killed a hostile outright anyway. Thalo offers a nod, "Nice shot." And a beat later he calls out, "Shoot!" and hits another button. The target that presents itself is another hostile, but there's a human figure between it and her, so the Hostile presents a smaller target now. Once more his bow is drawn, and he waits for her to loose.

<FS3> Klaudea rolls Archery: Good Success.

Responding to his praise would give her hiding spot away more precisely than her arrow did, so, keeping to as much 'sneakiness' as possible, Klaudea doesn't call out a thanks, merely pulls back her string again. There's a little, 'ack' under her breath as a friendly is suddenly in between her and the Hostile, so she takes a breath and corrects her aim, going over the human's shoulder to hit once more. She lowers the bow, and gives a fist pump before she reaches into her quiver for another arrow.

<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery: Success.

Thalo's arrow goes wide, not hitting the friendly, but it doesn't hit the hostile either, slamming into a tree behind it. "Not bad." He says, nodding approval. "Now, I want you to find a new spot, and then close your eyes, you can't open them till I tell you to shoot." Once more he closes his eyes and starts to count again.

<FS3> Klaudea rolls Athletics: Success.

Putting the arrow back in her quiver, there's a thud of boots as Klaudea hits the ground. There's a scatter of leaves, then a few taps of her feet that are almost inaudible, some are actually silent, as she hops on some rocks to hunker behind a large fallen tree. She nocks an arrow, pulls it back, and closes her eyes.

<FS3> Thalo rolls 6: Good Success.
<FS3> Thalo rolls 6: Success.

"19….and…20." Thalo calls out. He's already got an arrow knocked and he calls out "Shoot!" almost immediately, the target popping up. This time, however, one pops up on either side of a large tree, moving at a quick canter. The one on the left starts in almost immediately towards Klaudea, using the brush as cover as it does. The other isn't as quick to pick up her trail, taking less cover as it inspects the area.

<FS3> Klaudea rolls Archery-2: Failure.
<FS3> Klaudea rolls Archery-3: Failure.
<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery-2: Failure.
<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery-3: Failure.
<FS3> Klaudea rolls Athletics: Great Success.

Keeping her eyes closed, Klaudea opens them on command. Seeing nothing in front of her, she turns her head and gives an involuntary "eep!" and let's the arrow fly. As she nocks another arrow to try again, she notes she's being closed on from the other side, and spins to try and shoot the other Hostile, but trying to switch targets at last minute is always a bad idea, and the arrow is released before she even has time to focus on it. "Blast it," she mutters. Since her hiding place is already compromised, she lowers her bow and backs up, scuttling away from the two, and climbing up a rock to at least get out of reach of their melee weapons, trying to get height advantage.

Thalo hmmms quietly as he watches her escape. His own arrows also miss, but then nothing's coming at him so he doesn't react like she does. "Keep shooting, they'll stop when hit." he says with a faint smirk. Now odds are he isn't going to let them smash her up without armor on…but then again…He nocks his bow as well and takes aim, waiting for her to shoot.

<FS3> Klaudea rolls Archery-1: Good Success.
<FS3> Klaudea rolls Archery-2: Failure.
<FS3> Klaudea rolls Athletics: Great Success.

Now that she has the high ground, she takes a moment to breathe and draw properly, aiming at her first one. She draws again as it thunks into the animatronic Hostile, and turns for the second one. As she spins on the narrow perch, her boot slips on some moss. Her hand releases from the strings to regain her balance, saving her from falling, but the arrow tumbles to the ground without being fired.

<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery-1: Good Success.
<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery-2: Success.

Thalo's arrows loose, the first slams into the same hostile that Klaudea hit, the second also hits and the Hostile powers down. Thalo nods to her and points towards a tree. There's a scout in a branch. It's pretty far off and crouched, making for a small target, "Shoot!" he calls out. See…that's just hard to hit, period.

<FS3> Klaudea rolls Archery: Good Success.
<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery: Good Success.

Swiveling her head to look where he's pointing, Klaudea doesn't see anything at first. Then she settles down to one knee, and sees it. "You've got to be kidding me," she mutters, nocking an arrow and drawing back. She takes a good breath, steadies herself, and releases. It looks good! It's headed towards the Hostile, and then nails a branch a yard or so in front of it. "Where did that branch come from?" she wants to know, drawing another arrow, but waiting for an order.

Thalo's arrow slams in a few inches from Klaudea's and he sighs once, "Tricky bastard." he nocks another arrow and looks to Klaudea, "Keep shooting, fate of the system might rest on you making this shot some day. So make it." Of course, he probably can't make it either, but that doesn't mean he won't hold her to a higher standard.

<FS3> Klaudea rolls Archery: Good Success.
<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery: Good Success.
<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery: Good Success.
<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery: Good Success.
<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery: Good Success.
<FS3> Thalo rolls Archery: Great Success.
<FS3> Klaudea rolls Archery: Good Success.
<FS3> Klaudea rolls Archery: Good Success.
<FS3> Klaudea rolls Archery: Success.
<FS3> Klaudea rolls Archery: Great Success.
<FS3> Klaudea rolls Athletics: Success.

"Right," Klaudea mutters. "Fate of the world is on my shoulders. I hope I don't run out of arrows first," she calls the last sentence louder for him to hear. Still on one knee, she draws again and shoots managing to hit the tree next to the scout a couple times, then the branch he's on before one just flies through the leaves past it's hiding place to not be seen. "Dangitall," she complains. Since there isn't a threat below her anymore, she drops down, finding a different angle to shoot up. "Last arrow," she calls out, "guess I gotta make it count," she adds in a lower voice to herself. She takes one extra second, then lets it go, lowering her bow to watch the last one finally hit.

Thalo's arrows follow a similar pattern of hitting all around the target. A moment after her arrow hits, Thalo's finds the target as well. With a nod, he calls out, "Okay, bring it in." He pulls off his bow and undoes the string, then folds it over to slide it into a pouch he slings across his back. "Pretty decent…Now what'd you learn?"

Tramping back over to Thalo, Klaudea picks up a stray arrow and puts it back in her quiver. "Thanks," she nods with a lopsided grin. "Keep moving and keep shooting? And that I hope the World doesn't depend on my shooting a Hostile in a tree." She unstrings her bow and tucks it into the holster next to the almost empty quiver.

"Something like that." Thalo offers with a nod, "More importantly, you can't count on always have a spear, or poleaxe on you. Sometimes you gotta pull out a sidearm and try to shoot something. I've had to do it, you may too. Don't neglect the skills you don't think are important, you'll never know what'll happen in a battle."

Klaudea nods. "Yes, sir," she replies, her cheeks a little pink. Compared to Thalo, she does almost look like a child as she looks up to him, and nods in further affirmation of her words. She scuffs one boot along the ground, swinging it slightly along the ground, and then catching herself, to settle it down firmly and stand more solidly.

"All right, let's head back to the barracks. You've got armor to clean, and you've still got a training session tonight." And with that, the big Knight starts to lead the way back down the path towards the city, "Oh, and don't forget about my armor. That'll need a cleaning too." he offers that last bit with a smirk.

"What, do you toss it in the lake and then drag it along the street just to give me something to do?" Klaudea asks with a grin as she stretches her legs to half jog to keep up with him on the way back. "At least you haven't shorted the AI circuits again."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License